You already know how painful varicose veins can be. Your legs swell, discolor, and feel like bags of sand by the end of the day.
You may even have painful knots that feel like marbles running up and down your legs. It’s unlikely that this is the first time you have seen varicose veins.
You may have heard that they are signs of old age.
Varicose Veins Overview
What Is the Definition of a Varicose Vein?
The word “varicose” is a descriptive term for a vein that becomes overinflated or abnormally dilated. When circulation is working correctly, blood delivers essential nutrients to your cells and then your veins return the blood to the heart. But if a vein’s walls or valves are weak, a reversal of blood flow occurs, stretching and twisting the vein to the unhealthy dimensions seen in varicosities.
- Varicose veins run in families, and are especially prevalent in females, affecting over a third of adults.
- Some varicose veins are asymptomatic and only require cosmetic treatment, while others stem from chronic venous insufficiency, which must be addressed for successful resolution.
- Spider veins and varicose veins share common causes (vein disease, obesity, hormone elevations, inactivity) and might occur close together, but they often require different treatment. Spider veins are smaller and flatter, while varicose veins are larger and bulge beneath the skin.
- Treatment for varicose veins is usually minimally invasive and doesn’t involve downtime, but the right treatment is essential to prevent a recurrence.
- Varicosities often form in the legs because of the impact of gravity on blood flow. But they can develop in any weakened vein, including those in the face and neck.
Who Is Most Likely to Develop Varicose Veins?
Do your parents have varicosities? If so, you are more prone than others to develop them. Other patients who visit our Texas vein clinic developed them because of the hormone shifts and elevated blood pressure associated with pregnancy or menopause. Some patients’ veins become varicose because they sit or stand all day at work. And many develop varicosities simply because vein health deteriorates with age, accounting for the increase in varicose veins once you’re over age 50.
What Is the Malfunction Behind Varicose Veins?
The reason varicose veins are so common is that it only takes a simple malfunction for them to form. Inflammation (phlebitis) and congenital vein malformations are sometimes the impetus of varicose veins. But, more commonly, the issue stems from a structural malfunction in the blood vessel. Veins are equipped with little valves that direct blood flow in a single direction: toward your heart. Many things can impact the efficacy of those valves. When veins withstand excess pressure, either from venous insufficiency, trauma, or blood clots, the walls widen, prohibiting the valve from tightly closing. In addition, the valves themselves can break, preventing blood from continuing in the correct direction. Veins bulge, twist, and become visible through your skin as a result of this impaired circulation. Symptomatic varicosities should not be ignored, since they can be associated with chronic venous ulcerations, venous thromboembolism, or rupture that leads to hemorrhage.
What Symptoms Are Common in Texas Vein Clinics?
Patients might visit our Houston vein clinic with no symptoms, simply seeking cosmetic relief. Others have a variety of bothersome symptoms, including the following:
- Swelling and tightness in your lower extremities
- Rope-like, bulging, twisted veins
- Pinching and cramping in your leg muscles
- Formation of adjacent spider veins
- Legs that feel heavier than usual, particularly at night
- Hyperpigmentation below your knees
- Skin issues like lipodermatosclerosis, bleeding, or ulcers
- Topical inflammation (venous eczema) and pruritus
- Reѕtlеѕѕ, crawling sensations in your legs
Varicose Veins Treatments:
Many people struggle with varicose veins, but fortunately, there are many new treatment options. Determining the best treatment begins with a proper diagnosis. Your vein anatomy is uniquely your own, so the cause of your varicosity must be isolated in order for treatment to work. The vein specialists at our Texas vein clinic look for venous insufficiency, blood clots, DVTs, and symptoms, in addition to minimizing the appearance of varicose veins.
How Do TX Vein Clinics Diagnose Venous Insufficiency and Varicose Veins?
Unfortunately, some vein clinics in Texas are only trained in cosmetic treatments. But, if you have one varicose vein, you will likely develop another. Varicosities rarely occur in a singular spot on the body. This is because chronic venous insufficiency is usually to blame. You need a Texas vein doctor who can treat that disease, not just the superficial vein. At our renowned Texas vein clinics, we use duplex ultrasound scans and physical examinations to pinpoint the problem behind your veins. Without a complete analysis, your varicosities and symptoms are sure to return. Choose our Houston vein doctors, who are board certified in both vein medicine and vein imaging, for comprehensive care.
Texas Vein Clinic Treatments Include:
- Endovenous Ablаtіоn: thermally destroying malfunctioning veins with lasers or soundwaves (radiofrequency)
- Sclerotherapy Injections: intentionally irritating a defective vein so that it scars shut
- Surgеrу: extracting or stripping varicose veins out of the patient’s body (phlebectomy)
- Elevation: propping the legs up higher than the heart while resting to enhance circulation
- Medical Support Stосkіngѕ: wearing compression apparel to help pump blood out of the veins
NOTE: At our Texas vein clinic, sclerotherapy and radiofrequency ablation are the most common vаrісоѕе vein treatments.
Are Varicose Vein Clinic Treatments Safe?
Be sure to choose a medical clinic, not a cosmetic spa, for varicose vein treatment. If the facility is accredited and the doctors are board certified in venous medicine, treating varicose veins is safe for the majority of patients. Newer methods are minimally invasive, rather than surgical, which means there are substantially less risks associated with vein treatments than there were a few decades ago. Our highly trained vein specialists offer innovative solutions which they are very experienced in administering. We always tailor treatment to the individual for safe and flawless results.
I was absolutely 100% pleased with my whole experience. The staff were very nice and made me feel comfortable . I was extremely impressed with the results as well.
Good experience all around. The staff was very helpful and friendly and was not uncomfortable whatsoever.
Has an amazing staff that is very efficient and helpful!
Great experience all around. Thanks for everything!
It was a great experience and it all went smoothly will recommend to anyone.
Best surgeon I have ever had. Professional, clean, friendly. Quick recovery time and made the procedure as painless as possible.
Regain your Self-Confidence
We treat all our patients like they’re our only patients. Our vein doctors listen to your problems and examine your medical history to diagnose a treatment plan that’s meant just for you. They actively seek minimally-invasive treatments that conclude within an hour.
Regain your self-confidence and say goodbye to those welts and marks on your skin! Book a consultation at our vein treatment clinic in Houston today!